Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Lightning Bug



As I wandered outside late this evening for the last potty time with the dog, my eyes ventured upwards.  Not only did I see the stars far up in the distant sky, but there were two lightning bugs blinking in the still calm.  I immediately turned back to my childhood, when my Granny would hand me empty jars she had stock piled for balmy summer nights just as this to capture the mysterious bright bugs.  And, as my mind tends to be a bit more philosophical now that I am older, I immediately realized what a bright shining light those two little bugs were in the deep darkness of a midnight drift outside.  My thoughts spanned back in time – through the hurdles, through the joys, through the last few days and the last few years.  How many times did I feel lost in the blackness of life when a difficulty came my way.  Had I only looked up and seen the blinking of a bug, emanating it’s light for all to see – would that light have made a difference?  As I stood there wishing that every moment could have a guiding light such as that from the glow bugs, I realized that within me – within each of us – there already exists a natural glow.  I believe we are drawn to the lightning bug because it simply reflects the strength we already have inside.  Bottling the bug as so many of us did in times of old will only reaffirm what we already know to be true.  That we are a light, we do shine, and each of us can light up the night if we so choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment